We’re the UK’s public participation charity. We work towards creating a more vibrant democracy, with people at the heart of decision-making.
We know that politics often does not work as it should, leaving people and politicians feeling divided, distrustful and powerless. We demonstrate how democracy can be different. We support people and decision-makers to work together to solve our biggest challenges.
Our mission is to develop, support and campaign for new ways of involving people in the decisions that affect their lives.
Involve was founded in 2003 to “to create a new focus for thinking and action on the links between new forms of public participation and existing democratic institutions”. We've been promoting and practising participatory and deliberative decision-making ever since. We have worked with governments, parliaments, civil society organisations, academics and the public across the UK and internationally to put people at the heart of decision-making.
Everything we do is driven by our values:
- Collaboration – because change comes when broad coalitions of people work towards a common vision;
- Equality – because everyone in society has an equal right to be listened to and participate in decisions that affect their lives. No one should be held back by societal divisions or prejudice;
- Independence – because we are committed to the integrity and impartiality of participatory and deliberative processes;
- Purpose – because participation must have an impact. We reject tokenistic or ineffectual engagement; and,
- Quality – because effective participation requires time, attention and commitment.