The goal of a Local Issues Forum is to give everyone a greater voice in local decisions and encourage more citizen participation in local public policy making.
A Local Issues Forum is an online public commons where any citizen or elected official can:
- Ask questions
- Make public announcements
- Network with other local citizens
- Monitor local opinion
- Ask for public input
A forum manager is also required to monitor the conversation, maintain a neutral environment and ensure the focus is on local issues when necessary.
- Local Issues Forums are citizen driven.
- Costs include the setting up and maintenance of an online environment.
Approximate time expense
- Takes place in an online setting so the time requirements are ongoing.
- Keep up with community news
- Allows open questioning
- To share your opinion on local issues
- Allows networking with elected officials
- Instant feedback
- Requires a dedicated forum manager
- Can lack focus or orientation
Local Issues Forums have developed from eDemocracy and emulate Wikis but in a more localised and policy orientated fashion.
Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels CC0